Joint Entrance Exam (JEE 2024) is one of the most popular exams in India conducted by the NTA (National Testing Agency) to get admission into a reputed engineering college. JEE (Main) is also a JEE exam eligibility test for JEE (Advanced), which is conducted for admission to IITs (Indian Institute of Technology). JEE Main is conducted in two sessions- JEE Main Session-1 and JEE Main Session-2. Students can attempt the exam in either one or both sessions, the best score among the two JEE Main sessions will be validated for the rank.
JEE The Joint Entrance Examination, JEE (Main) comprises two papers. Paper 1 is conducted for admission to Undergraduate Engineering Programs (B.E/B.Tech.) at NITs, IIITs, other Centrally Funded Technical Institutions (CFTIs), and Institutions/Universities funded/recognized by participating State Governments. JEE (Main) is also an eligibility test for JEE (Advanced), which is conducted for admission to IITs. Paper 2 is conducted for admission to B. Arch and B. Planning courses in the country”- as per NTA.
JEE Main Eligibility Criteria
NTA hasn’t released the notification for JEE Main 2024 exam dates but it is expected to be released in December. Here are the eligibility criteria for JEE Main 2024 exam for both paper 1 & paper 2 based on last year’s notification to give students an idea. However, once the NTA releases the notification same will be updated here.
|There is no age limit.
|Candidates must have passed 10+2 or equivalent examinations from a recognized board.
|Year of Passing the Qualifying Examination
|Candidates who have passed 10+2 or equivalent examination in 2022, 2023 or are appearing for it in 2024 will only be eligible for JEE Main 2024.
|Number of Subjects in the Qualifying Examination
|The candidates should have qualified in 5 subjects:
Chemistry/Biology/Biotechnology/Technical Vocational Subject
Any other subject
|Admission Criteria for IITs, NITs, IIITs , and CFTIs
|For B.Tech/B.Arch/B.Plan admissions in IIITs, NITs and CFITs
Candidates should have secured minimum 75% marks (65% for SC/ST category candidates) or should fall under the top 20 percentile of their respective boards.
For B.Arch admission in institutes other than IIITs, NITs and CFITs
Candidates should have scored 50% aggregate marks in Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics in 10+2 or equivalent.
Detailed Eligibility Criteria for JEE Main 2024
Let’s have a look into the eligibility criteria to appear for JEE Main 2024 exam at length so as make sure not to miss any important detail that may cause any issues in the exam.
There is no age limit for appearing in the JEE Main 2024 exam. The candidates who have cleared the class 12 or equivalent exam in 2022, and 2023, or appearing in 2024 can appear in JEE (Main) 2024 examination regardless of their age. However, the candidates might have to fulfill the age criteria set by the Institute/college to which they are seeking admission.
Qualifying Examinations (QE)
Following is the list of qualifying examinations released by NTA that make students eligible for appearing in the JEE Main 2024 exam.
- The final examination of the 10+2 system, is conducted by any recognized Central/ State Board, such as the Central Board of Secondary Education, New Delhi; Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations, New Delhi; etc.
- Intermediate or two-year Pre-University examination conducted by a recognized Board/ University.
- Final examination of the two-year course of the Joint Services Wing of the National Defence Academy.
- Senior Secondary School Examination conducted by the National Institute of Open Schooling with a minimum of five subjects.
- Any Public School/ Board/ University examination in India or any foreign country is recognized as equivalent to the 10+2 system by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU).
- Higher Secondary Certificate Vocational Examination.
- A Diploma recognized by AICTE or a State board of technical education of at least 3 years duration.
- General Certificate Education (GCE) examination (London/Cambridge/Sri Lanka) at the Advanced (A) level.
- High School Certificate Examination of the Cambridge University or International Baccalaureate Diploma of the International Baccalaureate Office, Geneva.
- Candidates who have completed the Class 12 (or equivalent) examination outside India or from a Board not specified above should produce a certificate from the Association of Indian Universities (AIU) to the effect that the examination they have passed is equivalent to the Class 12 Examination.
- In case the Class 12 Examination is not a public examination, the candidate must have passed at least one public (Board or Pre-University) examination earlier.
Year of Appearance in Qualifying Examination
To be eligible you have to meet the following criteria-
- Only those candidates who have passed the Class 12 0equivalent examination in 2022, 2023, or those who are appearing in Class 12 or equivalent examination in 2024, will be eligible to appear in JEE Main 2024.
- Candidates who passed the Class 12 or equivalent examination in 2021 or before and those who will appear in such examination in 2025 or later are not eligible to appear in JEE Main 2024.
Number of Subjects in the Qualifying Examination
- For B.Tech/B.E: Students who have passed with 5 subjects- Language, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry/Biology/Biotechnology/Technical Vocational Subject, and any other additional subject in the qualifying exam for JEE Main 2024 will be eligible.
- For B.Arch: Students who have passed with Mathematics, Physics & Chemistry subjects in the qualifying exam for JEE Main 2024 will be eligible.
- For B.Planning: students must have passed the qualifying exam with Maths.
State of Eligibility
State code of eligibility means the code of the State from where the candidate has passed the Class 12 (or equivalent) qualifying examination by virtue of which the candidate becomes eligible to appear in JEE (Main) – 2024. It is important to note that the State code of eligibility does NOT depend upon the native place or the place of residence of the candidate. For example, if a candidate appears for the Class 12 (or equivalent) qualifying examination from an Institution situated in New Delhi and is a resident of Noida, Uttar Pradesh, then the candidate’s State code of eligibility will be that of Delhi and NOT that of Uttar Pradesh.
If a candidate has passed the Class 12 (or equivalent) qualifying examination from one State but appeared for improvement from another State, the candidate’s State code of eligibility will be from where the candidate first passed the Class 12 (or equivalent) examination and NOT the State from where the candidate has appeared for improvement.
Candidates who passed/appearing for Class 12 from NIOS should select the State of Eligibility according to the State in which the study Centre is located.
For Indian nationals passing the Class 12 (or equivalent) examination from Nepal/Bhutan, the State code of eligibility will be determined based on a permanent address in India as given in the passport of the candidate.
The State code of eligibility for OCI passing the Class 12 (or equivalent) examination in India is at par with Indian nationals. However, OCI passing the Class 12 (or equivalent) examination from an institution abroad are eligible for Other State quota seats or All India quota seats (but NOT for Home State quota seats) in all NITs, IIITs, and Other-CFTIs.
JEE Main Check 💡
Find your Question Here to this answer ➡ JEE Exam Dates 2024
(JEE Main 2021, Held on 1st September)
Eligibility Criteria for JEE Advanced 2024
All the candidates must simultaneously fulfill each and every one of the following five criteria to appear for JEE (Advanced) 2024.
Criterion 1 – Performance in JEE (Main) 2024
Candidates should be among the top 2,50,000 successful candidates (including all categories) in B.E./B.Tech. paper of JEE (Main) 2024. The percentages of various categories of candidates to be shortlisted are: 10% for GEN-EWS, 27% for OBC-NCL, 15% for SC, 7.5% for ST, and the remaining 40.5% is OPEN for all. Within each of these five categories, a 5% horizontal reservation is available for PwD candidates.
The following table shows the order to be followed while choosing the top 2,50,000 candidates in various categories based on their performance in B.E./B.Tech. paper of JEE (Main) 2024.
Criterion 2 – Age limit
Candidates should have been born on or after October 1, 1999. Five years age relaxation is given to SC, ST, and PwD candidates, i.e., these candidates should have been born on or after October 1, 1994.
Criterion 3 – Number of attempts
A candidate can attempt JEE (Advanced) a maximum of two times in two consecutive years.
Criterion 4 – Appearance in Class XII (or equivalent) examination
A candidate should have appeared for the Class XII (or equivalent) examination for the first time in either 2023 or 2024 with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as compulsory subjects. Candidates who had appeared in Class XII (or equivalent) examination for the first time in 2022 or earlier, are NOT eligible to appear in JEE (Advanced) 2024, irrespective of the combination of subjects attempted/offered.
Criterion 5: JEE Advanced 2024 Eligibility Criteria – Earlier Admissions at IITs
Candidates who were previously admitted to an IIT will not be eligible for JEE Advanced 2024, regardless of whether they continued in the program or not. The candidates who have accepted an IIT seat by reporting at the reporting centre previously will also not be eligible for admission. The candidates whose admission to IITs was cancelled for whatever reason after joining any IIT will also not be eligible to appear for JEE (Advanced) 2024.
However, candidates who were admitted to a preparatory course in any of the IITs for the first time in 2023 will be able to appear for JEE Advanced 2024.
However, the candidates who were allocated a seat in an IIT through JoSAA 2023 will be eligible for JEE Advanced 2024 if they meet any of the following conditions:
- Candidate did not report at any reporting centres
- Candidate withdrew before the last round of seat allotment
- Had their seat cancelled before the final round of seat allotment.
As a JEE Main aspirant, it is important that you have gone through the entire article thoroughly to be prepared to meet all the conditions for the exam. As it is crucial to be updated about everything related to JEE exam so, keep following this article. And we wish you All the Best!